What this Policy Covers.
Information Collected by DietBet.
We collect the following types of information from our users:
- Information You Provide to Us. We receive and store information that you enter on our website or provide to us in other ways. You can choose not to submit certain information, but the tradeoff is that you may not be able to take advantage of certain of our site's features.
- Registration: In order for you to use DietBet services you must create an account by completing a registration form. As part of this registration form, we require select personal information (including your name, email address, etc.).
- User Profile: To allow you to express yourself beyond just the information collected during registration, we enable you to provide additional information in your User Profile. This information may include your location, your birth date, your weight, your diet practices, and other interests. You may also post photos in your Profile.
- Player Profile: To play DietBet, a user may supply personal information such as their weight, target weight, age, gender, bet amount, etc. In some cases, DietBet will also collect payment information (such as credit card number, expiration date, or bank account numbers for Automated Clearing House (ACH) transfers).
- Invite Friends: A user may choose to identify a friend, colleague, cheerleader, or a similar third party through our invite-a-friend and cheerleader functions, respectfully. If a user does this we will collect the recipient's email address. We will automatically send your friend an email, and if necessary, reminder emails. DietBet stores this information for the sole purpose of sending the aformentioned email and any related reminder emails. We also store this information to track the success of our invitation programs. Your friend may contact us to request that we remove this information from our database.
- Orders. If you purchase a product or service through DietBet, then we will collect billing information (such as credit card number, expiration date, or bank account numbers) and address information (such as name, email address, and shipping address).
- Weigh-In Photos: In order to play, each player must submit two weigh-in photos at the beginning and end of each game. These photos are solely used by our DietBet Referees to confirm a player's starting and ending weight. DietBet does not use these photos for any purpose other than weigh-in review without express written permission of the player. After they are reviewed, the images are stored in our database for auditing purposes since they are used to determine winners of the game. They are also displayed on your personal profile and visible only to you, unless you choose to share them with others.
- Bulletin Boards, Blogs, Chatrooms. If you use a bulletin board, blog, or chatroom on DietBet, you should be aware that personally identifiable information you submit there can be read, collected, or used by other users of the aforesaid forums. This information could then be used by a third party to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for such personally identifiable information that you choose to submit in the forums. We also connect to third-party services like Facebook and Twitter, and any information that you post on our site may be sent off our site via these third-party services.
- Automatic Information. We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. DietBet and its authorized agents automatically receive and record certain traffic data on their server logs from your browser including your IP address, DietBet cookie information, queries, and the page you requested. DietBet uses this traffic data to help diagnose problems with its servers, to analyze trends and to administrate the website. DietBet may collect and display various aggregate counts of the times that pages have been viewed. This includes User Profile pages.
Use of information by DietBet. DietBet uses your information to contact you about your involvement or potential involvement in a game; to bill users who have agreed to play or purchase products through our site; to fulfill product orders; to contact you about DietBet-related news, features, products, surveys, promotions, updates, case-studies, and/or special offers; to facilitate social networking and game set-up (e.g. posting on your Facebook feed, sending friend requests and notifications, creating groups of users with similar goals, or Referee and Cheerleader requests); to serve ads tailored to your stated interests and goals; and, without using personally identifiable information, to analyze and report success trends.
Sharing Your Information.
DietBet enables people to discover and share information with one another, and information about the people who use DietBet is very important to us. Although we may share non-personal information, such as aggregate user statistics, demographic information, and website usage information with third parties, rest assured that we will share your personally identifiable information only as described below.
- DietBet Personnel and Affiliates: DietBet personnel, approved academic researchers, authorized consultants and/or contractors may have access to user information if necessary in the normal course of DietBet business and/or research. This means that user information, including name, address, phone number, credit card details and Commitment Contract details may be used for the following reasons: responding to user requests, ensuring smooth operation of games, and/or modifying our games product to increase users' success rates. We may solicit your participation in research, developing case-studies, and success stories.
- We may also use your personal information to place you in a game with other players who match your weight, age, gender categories and/or who share certain interests, such as playing against other recent mothers or diabetics. Being placed in such a game may thus imply certain private information about you even though this information is not made explicitly public. We do this in order to match you with other people in similar conditions and to make a better, more enjoyable game.
- Agents/Service Providers: DietBet employs third parties to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include hosting or operating the DietBet website, fulfilling orders for products and services purchased through the DietBet websites, sending e-mail and/or other communications, providing wireless services, removing repetitive information from customer lists, data analysis, marketing assistance, credit card payment processing, and customer service. These third parties may have access to your personal information for the purpose of performing such functions on DietBet's behalf.
- Business Transfers: In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, user information is typically one of the business assets that is transferred. If DietBet or all of its assets were acquired, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred.
- User Profile information: Information collected during registration and subsequent visits, such as your full name and location, may be displayed to other DietBet users in your User Profile. The User Profile is the area on DietBet where we allow you to tell other DietBet users about yourself and your interests. You may control what personal information is displayed in your User Profile including your weight. You have the option to disclose your weight, or hide it and only show your relative weight (i.e., we may tell other players that you weigh 150 pounds; however, if you prefer, you can check a box that tells us to only share with them that you've gained or lost 2 pounds since your last weigh-in).
- API: DietBet will allow third parties access to all DietBet data that is already publicly available through the DietBet website. DietBet will keep passwords private.
- E-Commerce: DietBet may allow users to choose to share information with third parties, including marketers or electronic commerce providers through on-site offers.
- Affiliate Entities: DietBet may also provide your personally identifiable information to your affiliated company if you have entered an Affiliate Code during registration or are otherwise a user of our corporate portal.
- With Your Consent: Except as noted above, DietBet will not provide users' personally identifiable information to third parties or use it for a purpose incompatible with the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected without their prior permission.